- Career Center»
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources»
- Architecture & Construction»
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communications»
- Business Management & Administration»
- Career Center Articles»
- Education & Training»
- Government & Public Administration»
- Health Science»
- Hospitality & Tourism»
- Human Services»
- Information Technology»
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security»
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics»
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics»
- College Center»
- Feature Archive»
- Financial Literacy»
- I Am The Future»
- Virtual Mentor»
Hospitality & Tourism
- Do you enjoy travel?
- Do you enjoy dining in restaurants?
- Do you like to cook?
- Do you like helping other people enjoy themselves?
- Are you friendly and outgoing?
- Would you like to work in a hotel, on a cruise ship, or in a restaurant?
- Are you a great athlete?
- Do you like to explore other cultures?
If you answered yes to some of these questions, you might be interested in a career in hospitality and tourism. You might enjoy a career as a:
- travel agent
- hotel manager
- waiter or waitress
- recreation director
- convention manager
Jobs in the hospitality and tourism career cluster involve planning, managing, and providing lodging, food, recreation, conventions, travel services, and tourism, and related planning and support services.
Career Pathways in Hospitality & Tourism
A career pathway is an area of concentration within a career cluster. Each pathway contains a group of careers requiring similar academic and technical skills as well as similar industry certifications or postsecondary education. The hospitality and tourism career cluster has four pathways:
This pathway includes all the jobs required for hotels, motels, inns, and resorts to function and serve guests. Jobs include:
- janitorial worker
- front desk attendant
- reservations supervisor
Recreation, Amusement, and Attractions
This career pathway includes jobs in amusement parks, sports stadiums, and recreation centers. Jobs in this pathway are quite varied, including:
- professional athlete
- amusement park worker
- club manager
- museum guide
- recreation director
Restaurants and Food and Beverage Services
This is the largest pathway in this cluster, and includes all the jobs in restaurants, catering services, and any place where food or drink is served. Jobs include:
- wine steward
- institutional food service worker
- restaurant and facilities manager
Travel and Tourism
This pathway comprises all the jobs involved in planning and booking travel reservations, leading tours, and planning and marketing special events. Jobs include:
- tour guide
- event planner
- tourism marketing manager
- tour director
- convention services manager